It’s common knowledge that lead and asbestos are dangerous materials that can pose risks to human health. But what exactly are they? What are the risks?

What is Lead?

Lead is a highly toxic metal. For years it was used throughout households. There are many adverse health effects from lead exposure. In children, lead exposure can cause neurological issues, behavioral issues, and in extreme cases, death.

In general, lead exposure comes from paint and lead in pipes.

What is Asbestos?

Asbestos is a naturally occurring fibrous mineral. It is used in these products to make them stronger and more durable, as it is resistant to heat, fire, and electricity.

Since it is typically combined with other substances it can be hard to identify. It can be in anything, from light fixtures, to popcorn ceilings, to insulation Asbestos fibers can become air-born when the product is disturbed. If inhaled, they can cause serious health defects. Asbestos accumulates in the system over time, becoming worse with every exposure. The only way to prevent the health risks is to limit exposure.

Exposure over long periods of time can lead to mesothelioma and lung cancer.

Depending on the material, lead and asbestos can easily become air-born. This is what makes them so dangerous.

Why Have the Professionals Remove Lead and Asbestos?

While some things can be taken care of personally, we don’t recommend fixing your own asbestos or lead problem. DIY projects may save money, but the risk associated don’t outweigh the savings.

Lead and asbestos can be difficult and even dangerous to remove. Like toxic mold, these carcinogens are dangerous. Without the proper equipment a small problem can quickly become worse. When asbestos-containing products are intact the process is simpler. But once that material is compromised and those fibers are air-born it becomes a much more dangerous process.

At MaxCARE we specialize in lead and asbestos abatement. Our aim is to keep you and your family safe.